We’re looking for people who share our commitment to delivering quality-filtered updates of emerging evidence that focus on the needs of health and social care professionals. It would also help if you like elves!
You might be a subject specialist, a clinician, a researcher, a student or even an information scientist. If you want to use your research and writing skills to make a real difference to patient care – read on.
The 7 live elf websites we have launched over the last 2 years are all run by experts in their field who believe that health professionals need access to the right evidence at the right time, in order to keep up to date with best current knowledge.
Writing for The Mental Elf
The Mental Elf website is really popular with students, nurses, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, GPs, researchers and other health and social care professionals, and it’s also widely used by patients, carers, librarians, teachers and journalists. Our number of followers across all platforms is now well over 10,000 (Edit: as of June 2014 the number has exceeded 30,000).
We have featured a few guest blogs on the Mental Elf and these have been popular with readers, so we now want to expand the number of bloggers who write on the website.
What you will bring
There are a few essentials that you will need to write for the Mental Elf:
- Mental health knowledge: you don’t need to be a Professor, but you do need to know about mental health or a specific health condition within the specialty
- Critical appraisal skills: you need to be comfortable reading, appraising and summarising research papers
- Writing skills: you need to be able to write in clear, simple and engaging language
What we can offer you
There are a number of reasons why you might like to write for us:
- Audience: this website, our social media channels and our mobile apps reach a wide audience, so your blogs will get read by thousands of people
- Skills: we can help you learn more about evidence-based healthcare, blogging and social media
- Woodland camaraderie: it’s a lot of fun working for the National Elf Service!
How will it work?
- We will sign you up and ask you to commit to at least one blog per month
- You will choose your areas of interest (e.g. schizophrenia, personality disorders, children)
- Each month we will send you a number of articles that have been selected for inclusion
- You will choose one and blog about it
If you are interested, please email André Tomlin and introduce yourself.
Update (June 2014)
We now have dozens of people from all kinds of backgrounds writing for the site. A complete list of contributors can be found here.